Tyndall National Institute | Ireland's Space Industry Directory
IRELAND'S SPACE INDUSTRY DIRECTORY
Office Location & Contact Details
Tyndall National Institute
Tyndall National Institute is Ireland’s largest research centre, specialising in Information & Communications Technology (ICT) hardware and systems. Tyndall is a National Institute, operating globally to facilitate and enable R&D and innovation in Ireland consistent with national priorities.
Tyndall works through world-class teams performing ground-breaking research on new materials, devices & systems with a “from atoms to systems” philosophy, focussing on the delivery of value from research to the Irish economy.
Success in achieving these objectives is the key to facilitating future economic development in Ireland, through the development of indigenous companies, the attraction and maintenance of inwardly-investing, high-technology multinationals and the generation of new businesses. Tyndall has a staff of over 450 and an extensive laboratory infrastructure incorporating a CMOS fabrication facility, microsystems fabrication, compound semiconductor fabrication, e-beam, component packaging, reverse engineering, electron microscopy and an extensive range of other advanced analytical & test facilities.
Tyndall has built up extensive experience through working on space-related R&D projects for many years. Tyndall acts as a Microelectronics Technology Support Laboratory to the European Space Agency, under which it provides expertise & evaluation services to ESA in the areas of component & integrated circuit quality and reliability. Tyndall also conducts evaluations of new technologies, materials & assembly processes to assess their suitability for use in the space environment. In addition to its work with ESA, Tyndall also works directly with leading European & international space components companies.
- EEE Components & Quality
- Materials & Processes
Main Space related products, services and projects
- Detailed evaluations of the workmanship, quality and reliability of space grade components and assemblies.
- Evaluation of the reliability of new materials (e.g. adhesives, lead-free solder alloys) for use in the space environment.
- Reliability evaluation of electronic components and assemblies.
- Development & fabrication of ionising radiation detectors (RADFETs).
- Circuit design evaluation, technology analysis and electrical characterisation.
- High frequency Schottky diode technology research and development.
- Gallium nitride (GaN)-based components for mm-wave & sub-mm-wave applications.
- Development of novel high-k dielectric materials for space use.
- Development of high performance frequency dissemination techniques for optical fibre links.
- Study & evaluation of high reliability microwave transistor devices.
- Evaluation of the performance of RF MEMS devices under radiation.
- Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD) techniques for x-ray telescopes and other space components.
Back to: Ireland's Space Industry Directory home